Charm and Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Word Counter
Word Count: 0
Cbox

Everyone chatting it up over here!

Bubble Bubble, Toil and Trouble

Go down

Bubble Bubble, Toil and Trouble Empty Bubble Bubble, Toil and Trouble

Post by Malachi St. Holmes Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:28 am

Though Malachi was eager to being learning again once the new term had started, the unnaturally red-haired boy did not quite feel the same about potions. He had just barely got by in the previous year that class and knew that it was only going to get harder from that point on. Though he had told himself he was going to study up on the subject during the summer and maybe ask for some help, the beautiful weather ended up leading him astray and he had never gotten around to it.

Luckily the first few classes back were focused around note taking, which Malachi was attentive to doing. However, it was just his luck that the one day he showed up to class late by pure accident was the day they were to start concocting the hair-raising potion.

Malachi shuttled into the room and mumbled an apology to the Professor before turning upon a classroom of full seats. Suddenly he spotted an opening and he made his way over. Staring at his feet, he sheepishly spoke, "Sorry, can I sit here?" He barely knew the girl, only having run into her once or twice and no doubt the girl would be uneasy to let the boy who was late to class be her partner and his skills weren't admirable to the point that it would make up for the trouble he caused.
Malachi St. Holmes
Malachi St. Holmes
Ghost
Ghost

Taurus Posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Bubble Bubble, Toil and Trouble Empty Re: Bubble Bubble, Toil and Trouble

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Charlotte was definitely prepared for the new school term, especially potions. To be honest it was the worst subject for the young blonde, since she was the only person that was able to blow up two cauldrons in the space of a week. However during the summer she tried her hardest to listen to her mothers instructions about each potion in her second year text book and how to brew them properly.

As Charlotte entered the room she made her way over to a deserted desk at the back of the room, she looked around the room playing with the loose strands of her hair, occasionally playing with the sleeves of her school dress.

As the professor started talking Charlotte immediately started taking down notes, as the professor was demonstrating the potion she drew step-by-step guide line of how to do it. However the professor stopped for a short amount of time, but she didn't bother to pay attention until she heard someone speaking to her. Charlotte looked up at the owner of the voice and soon smiled as she recognized him.

"Of course." she said quietly, moving her stuff from the seat next to her. "It's good to see you again, what's your name?" she asked in a hushed voice, since she didn't want to disturb the professors speech about the potion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Malachi St. Holmes Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Malachi tugged at the sleeve of his shirt as he had forgotten all formalities in greeting someone and had cut to the chase. "How rude of me," He started, placing his bag on the table and taking a seat next to her. "My name is Malachi. And you are?" He questioned, emptying out the contents of his bag onto the table. His textbook, his notes, and his basic potion-making kit.

"You must forgive me, but I am not very good at potions," Malachi admitted, his cheeks flushed. "But my notes should be more than adequate, if you are in the need of copying them for a test. I hope that exchange sounds fair to you, Fraulein." He always found bargaining to work out. After all, at least he was attempted to offer work in exchange for the help he was hoping to get from her. However, for all he knew, she could be just as bad as him.
Malachi St. Holmes
Malachi St. Holmes
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:28 pm

"it's quite alright" she said with a smile "My name is Charlotte, it's a pleasure meeting you again Malachi" , charlotte continued to write down notes here and there, until she reached into her bag and searched around until she found what she was looking for; a chocolate frog. Charlotte hid it in her hand and passed it to him "It's the one from the shop I ended up buying it" she said with a little laugh "you can have it"

Charlotte didn't really mind that Malachi wasn't very good at potions since she wasn't very good at them herself, but when he offered to let her copy his notes for a test she couldn't do that. "No, it wouldn't be right. you would of worked hard on those notes and if I'd copy them then I would feel rude" she said with a smile "but I appreciate the offer", she looked down at her notes, satisfied with what she had written. "But we could always help each other, but I have had potions lessons off my mother during the summer holidays so I shouldn't be bad at them now"

Back to top Go down

Post by Malachi St. Holmes Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Malachi began organizing the ingredients they would need upon the table as Charlotte spoke amiably. He smiled gently in response and nodded his head, thinking that it was about time he learned some of the names of the people in his year.

His eyes widened as suddenly she produced a chocolate frog and placed it on the table. "Nein, nein!" He said, and politely pushed the frog back towards her. "I couldn't possible accept! Unless, of course, you were interested in sharing." Though he fancied the card for himself if it wasn't one that he already had in his collection. "For after we finish?" He asked, holding up the box and then slipped it into his bag out of sight, knowing that the professor wouldn't be pleased to see the students snacking while working on a potion. "It'll be a, erm, celebration for when we successfully make the potion?" He offered.

His eyes turned to the notes before him and the open textbook. So much work was needed to be done and he was nervous to start. He started by lighting a fire beneath the cauldron and setting it to a medium heat. Then he grabbed a few rhinoceros beetles and crushed them in the mortar and pestle. "I was meaning to ask Papa to tutor me in potions," He confessed with a nervous laugh. "However, I'm afraid to say my personal projects got in the way all summer long and I am just as good as I was when I left Beauxbatons last year." He added the powdered beetles to the boiling cauldron. "Or maybe worse."
Malachi St. Holmes
Malachi St. Holmes
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:23 am

Soon enough the room filled with voices, some talking about the work whilst others talked idly to themselves about what they were going to do on the weekend, or how their summer was.

"Honestly you can have it, I have plenty in my bag" she said with a small smirk, she reached into her back and showed him a little pouch full of chocolate frogs. She quickly put the pouch back inside her bag and started brewing her own potion, she looked at the text book and also her mothers instructions. "How's your collection coming? found any new cards?" she asked looking at the potion and then back at the instructions.

"let me guess, the summer sun and the summer activates distracted you from learning?" she asked with a little chuckle. "I was like that as-well, but my mother locked me in the kitchen with her until we had successfully brewed a potion" she said whilst adding crushed beetles, she lighted her own cauldron to a medium heat "does that look okay to you?" she asked whilst looking at his then back to hers, the many notes she had.

Charlotte laughed "I'm sure your not bad at potions Malachi, your doing pretty well so far" she said with a reassuring smile, "besides last year I blew up two cauldrons in the same week" she said with a small laugh, since she was remembering the events of that week. "The one thing that confuses me is the face that the potions classroom is really dark" she said quickly looking around the room. "I mean they could at least being in a phew candles of something"

Back to top Go down

Post by Malachi St. Holmes Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:40 pm

"Are you sure?" Malachi questioned. He didn't want to just take the frog from her, even if it was supposed to be a gift. However, he took it as a friendly gesture and eventually ceased all inquiries and accepted it. "Danke Fraulein," He said and made sure the frog was tucked away. He didn't want to lose it while he was busy with potion making, after all.

"Ach, I keep getting the common cards," Malachi noted in response, making a checklist of the things they needed to accomplish with the potion. "I spent my summer working on all these art projects and I hardly got around to any potion making." Malachi explained. "I would've done it on my own, but I live in an apartment with a lot of muggles around so if I made a mistake, which would be quite likely, it could be quite serious for my family," He finished, pulling out a few rat tails and severing them under the blade of his knife. He tried his best to keep them all the same length, but the bit turned out quite crooked.

"I guess I just need more practice," he replied and chuckled at Charlotte's story about the cauldron's exploding. "Pardon me for laughing!" He said through laughter, holding up his hands innocently. "I suppose what the professor lacks in taste in décor, makes up in potion making," Kai reasoned. "Though I feel like all of the classrooms are a bit dreary," Malachi admitted, though he was used to a welcoming environment at home and was quite good at it as well. He shrugged and added the rat tails to the potion.
Malachi St. Holmes
Malachi St. Holmes
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:11 pm

"I am Positive" she said with a smile, "now put it in your bag" she said rolling her eyes amused that he didn't know weather to take it or not. But eventually he took it and she smiled "think of it as a symbol of the start of a friendship" she said with a small smirk.

Charlotte soon started to cut and slice her rat tails into perfect even lines, but it was proving to be a harder task then she thought. "come on you stupid tails! be even.." she muttered to herself, whilst she listened to what Malachi said, she nodded "Art projects? do you enjoy doing art?" she asked him, her eyes never leaving the tails. "Yes that would be a problem if the Muggle's caught you brewing a potion, you'd probably be warned by the ministry or something.." she said, whilst standing up and examining the tails. Charlotte groaned in annoyance when she saw that the tails weren't equally cut.

She took deep breaths and quickly put her hair up into a messy, loose ponytail. "Maybe we can practice together one time?" she suggested with a smile, with a sigh she placed the tails into the potion and stirred it, she glanced down at her notes. "It's fine! Honestly I was laughing my head off when my cauldrons blew up on me" she said with a little laugh. Charlotte nodded "I know!, but he is a good potions teacher, but seriously some brightly coloured posters about potions would make the room more lively" she said with a smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Malachi St. Holmes Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Malachi worked best when he was preoccupied with conversation or listening to music, so he rather enjoyed the lively conversation he was sharing with Charlotte. It didn't improve his potion making, but then again, it didn't ruin it either and it made the whole process more fun in his opinion.

"Mmmhmm," Malachi replied, looking up for a moment to face the girl. "I paint and design clothes and stuff," Malachi noted. It was one of his favorite past times. His parents had encouraged him growing up to always express himself. They supported his art and supported his music and though he was still mediocre at it all, it made for a very happy Malachi.

"Nein, that wouldn't be good at all," He frowned. Judging by the way the other people in the apartment treated the St. Holmes, the muggles probably had their suspicions about the family already. Exposure would be horrible for them.

"That would be nice," Malachi agreed to practicing outside of class. "I could use the help and it's more fun with friends," He said, before adjusting the temperature on the potion and giving it a stir. "I-if it isn't too forward of me to call us such," He added, quickly, his cheeks blushing slightly. "He is a good teacher. It's a pity that potions is not my strong point, though."
Malachi St. Holmes
Malachi St. Holmes
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:54 am

Charlotte was beginning to like potions more and more, that is if Malachi continued to sit next to her that is. She continued making her potion and within a matter of minutes she had managed to add the last ingredient, she started stirring it.

"really?" she said looking at him as she continued stirring. "that's sounds really good and fun!" she added with a smile "so your into all the art sort of things, does that make you like music as-well?" she asked a little hopeful. 'perhaps if he was good at music he could teach me, then I could return the favour by teaching him something?' she thought to herself.

Charlotte nodded in agreement "it wouldn't, but luckily nothing like that happened this summer huh?" she said with a reassuring smile, since she noticed a frown in his face she thought that subject may be a touchy subject.

Charlotte giggled at his reaction "no it's fine" she said with a smile "I class you as my friend since you've been so kind to me this lesson" she said, she stopped stirring her potion and let it boil, she started to adjust the temperature. "yes I agree that he is a good potions master..." she turned her gaze to look at Malachi's potion, to her it looked fine. "there's nothing wrong with the potion your making here?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Malachi St. Holmes Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:52 am

"oh yes, music too!" Malachi added, excited and dropped the last required ingredient into his simmering cauldron. "I play songs on the ukulele! I'm not that good of a singer, though, but it's the fun I have that counts," he noted and gave his potion a stir. He was hardly paying attention to it now, more involved in the conversation he was having.

"Yes, that's a positive way to look at it," Malachi answered. He often tried to look on the brighter side and it usually worked. Though his potion was starting to look like a lost cause.

"I doubt it is perfect, though," Malachi replied, stirring his potion and finding it's consistency to be thicker than desirable. He frowned slightly. It would probably earn him a passing grade, but he had hoped to have been a bit better than it turned out. "It's nothing like yours," He noted, looking at his partner's potion, which was letting off a pleasant aroma.
Malachi St. Holmes
Malachi St. Holmes
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:03 pm

Charlotte looked at him confused "what's a Ukulele?, I'm sure your a fine singer! you just have to find the right pitch to sing at, then you will be able to sing" she said with a smile "well I wouldn't actually know since I'm not allowed to play music in the house, my parents don't like it very much" she said with a sigh. "but it does sound fun"

She looked down at his potion again and thought for a moment "I have an idea.." she quickly swapped their cauldrons with a simple levitation spell. "there now you can have my potion and I'll fix yours" she said with a smile. "that's what friends are for after all to help each other." Charlotte poured the liquid out of his cauldron and she started again with all the ingredients.

Back to top Go down

Post by Malachi St. Holmes Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:27 pm

Malachi was surprised to hear that Charlotte didn't know what a ukulele was, but then again, not all people were as lucky as him to be exposed to the number of instruments he was. "Oh it's like a small guitar," Malachi explained, holding up his hands to show the minute size of the instrument. "But unlike the guitar, it only has four strings." He frowned as Charlotte claimed that instruments were not allowing within her home. "Ach! That feels so unfair to me! Children should be allowed to express themselves! Not be kept from art." He scowled at the injustice, but he supposed there wasn't much he could do to change the rules within the other girl's household. "Perhaps you would like to play music with me at school? We could do it as a project for Melodic Studies," Malachi offered. It was the least he could do.

The boy's soft brown eyes widened as he watched the potions be raised from the cauldrons and were swapped. He gaped slightly as he couldn't explain to himself why the girl would give him the perfectly good potion and decide to start over his. "Fr-fraulein?" Malachi stuttered, finding himself completely struck dumb. "You didn't have to! I could've taken the grade! D-danke!" He sputterd out and then wrapped the girl in a quick embrace.

Ach=alas, Fraulein=miss, Danke=thank you
Malachi St. Holmes
Malachi St. Holmes
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:08 pm

When Malachi started explaining what a Ukulele was, but she still didn't quite understand what it was "Uh, sorry but what's a gu-guitar?" she asked confused "I'm sorry if it sounds stupid to you. But my parents only allow a violin or flute to be played on special occasions " she said blushing slightly, since she didn't want to sound stupid for not knowing what certain instruments were. "I wasn't really allowed to do much when I'm at home...." she said quietly, if she thought about it Charlotte realised that she wasn't allowed to do much at all and that made her feel slightly upset. However when Malachi suggested playing music as a project for Melodic studies Charlotte couldn't help but smile widely at him "really?! you mean it?!" she asked.

Charlotte chuckled slightly at Malachi's reaction to her swapping their potions "No! don't be silly!" she said with a smile "That's what friends do, they help each other". Although Charlotte wasn't expecting him to give her a quick hug, she returned it and went back to fixing the potion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Malachi St. Holmes Sat May 03, 2014 3:06 pm

As if not knowing what a ukulele was wasn't surprising enough, the German boy was further baffled by her lack of knowledge of a guitar. He paused for a moment, wondering just how to explain it to her, when she mentioned she was occasionally allowed a violin. "Ah! Like a violin! Except, you do not use a bow. You hold it like this," He held his hands up in mime of showing her how. "And you strum it, like so." He finished, hoping that it was an adequate explanation, though he was sure she'd understand once she saw it in person. "Of course! Playing music with people is always more fun than alone!" Malachi replied. "It'll be like having our own little band!" He smiled.

With a complete and adequate potion resting in his cauldron, Malachi didn't know what else to do but to sit and wait for Charlotte to complete her start-over one. "Do you want me to help?" He offered, after a few moments of sitting in silence. He felt indebted to her for giving him her potion and it was the least he would be able to do.
Malachi St. Holmes
Malachi St. Holmes
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 11, 2014 3:21 am

When Malachi was explaining what a guitar was charlotte nodded and took mental notes "so it looks like..." She trailed off, she looked for a scrap piece of parchment and after finding one she picked up her quill and started diddling what she thought a guitar looked like from Kai's description. "Do you mean it looks like that?" She asked passing him the doodle. "I'm sorry if I sound stupid, this is all sort of new to me; the music I mean" she said with a faint smile.

"Um.." Charlotte thought for a while 'should I? Well it may be a nice way to get to know him more..' She thought "alright" she smiled "could you chop up the tails, but please make sure they are symmetrical" charlotte explains and she stretched the word 'symmetrical'. "I'm sorry I it sounded rude.." She started "but I have a little obsession with little thins being symmetrical" charlotte looked back at the potion and continued stirring it. "Can I ask you something.." She said quietly whilst looking at the potion in thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Malachi St. Holmes Tue May 13, 2014 5:17 pm

Malachi scanned the drawing with his soft brown eyes and smiled at the effort put into it. He pulled out his own quill and dipped it in the ink and made minor adjustments to the drawing before sliding it back towards the girl. "That's it," He said, hoping that her question was answered. "Though no drawing can capture the earthy blues of a guitar's strum," he added, pleasantly. He was always surrounded by music it seemed. It was something he adored very much.

Malachi could tell that Charlotte was uneasy about letting him help, seeing how his own potion had turned out, but he was glad to hear that she gave in. He would feel awful to make her do all the work and was determined to learn from his previous mistakes.

He took hold of the rat tails and placed them in a line on his cutting board and held the knife above them, dividing them into even sections in his mind before getting started. "Nein, nein! You only want the potion to turn out well and that is understandable," Malachi replied, not taking his eyes off of the rat tails as he worked. This time he was going to get them right. He paused and looked up when she inquired if she could ask him something. "Why of course, Fraulein," He told her, wondering just what she had in mind that she thought required permission before she asked. He then resumed cutting the rat tails.
Malachi St. Holmes
Malachi St. Holmes
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Charlotte watched Malachi as he adjusted her drawing and she clicked her fingers in understanding "I see! I understand what a g-gu-gutar is!" she said with a triumphant smile "is that how you pronounce it? gutar?" she asked looking at him curiously. However charlotte soon became confused "what do you mean by 'earthiness?'. Is it made from the mud or the earth in some form?" she asked looking at him with wonder and excitement in her Blue eyes.

"Okay, you didn't have to help, You can just watch if you want" she said with a friendly smile in his direction "I wouldn't of minded at all" Charlotte felt that she should do something in return of how Malachi was actually the first person in a while to be friendly to her since she started the academy. "after the rats tails you can stop" she said with a smile.

Even so when he agreed to answer her question she started debating on whether to tell him or not. 'should I?' she wondered 'Or would he just find it strange...' she kept arguing with herself on whether to tell him. "Uhh well.." Charlotte glanced over at him and then back at the potion "If I ask you this question you have to give me your honest answer" she said, there was a hint of seriousness in her tone of voice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Malachi St. Holmes Mon May 19, 2014 6:59 pm

"Guitar," Malachi corrected, with utter patience. He understood how confusing new words could be. He had to learn an entirely new language before he started attending Beauxbatons and he still would get tripped up on an occasional word. "Nein, nein, Fraulein," he replied, with a chiming laugh to his voice. "Hmmm, I suppose it is hard to explain. It's something you feel when you hear it. In your heart," He clarified, resting a hand on his chest above his heart. "You will understand when you experience it, I promise." he told her, smiling amiably.

He shook his head during his concentration on the rat tails. "Please let me help. I do not want to be a burden," he all but begged. It was his mess that put her into the situation in the first place. "Trust me," He told her. "I will do this well." He wanted to improve, after all and the only way to do that was to mess up and try again.

He finished up cutting the rat tails and pushed the cutting board towards Charlotte so she could add them to the potion when the time came. "Of course!" He replied, though he turned serious as he wondered what the concern was with the question. "You're not in trouble, are you?" He questioned.
Malachi St. Holmes
Malachi St. Holmes
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 23, 2014 2:14 pm

"Oh..." Charlotte nodded, when he said the right pronunciation of the word. "I guess I should learn the proper pronunciation huh?" she said with a slight chuckle. Charlotte nodded "I want to experience it, by the way you describe it, it sounds amazing!" she said with a smile. "I will hold you to that promise you know" she said with a light laugh.

"your not being a burden" she said with a reassuring smile. Charlotte sighed "I do trust you, I wanted to fix the potion because I thought it would be something a friend would do and also I don't want to see you fail this class" she said sending him a smile, before she went back to the potion.

Once Malachi was finished with the rats tails she picked up the chopping bored , she poured them into the potion; she started mixing them in slowly. "No,No, No!" she said reassuringly "It's nothing like that honest!" she said turning to look at him, but she didn't leave the potion. "It's just, do you ever feel like your the ogre in your family? as in they don't pay much attention to you bare the first day you come back from school and then they just don't bother with you?" she asked seriously, by her expression anyone could of guessed that this question meant a lot to her. "and I want your honest answer please" she said in a slight pleading voice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Malachi St. Holmes Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:33 pm

Malachi had to admit he was a bit shocked with his friend's question. He wasn't expecting something so intense and knew that this only meant she was comfortable with letting him in on such deep topics. He wanted to answer carefully, but in all honesty, he hardly knew the feeling. He was his parent's only child and therefore, the center of their attention. His parents were always around for support in anything he took interest in. But occasionally, when Papa or Mama had a large commission, they committed themselves to their work so that Kai could barely get a word in. He understood, though. Making a living off of making art was hard and he knew his parents were doing their best.

"It's okay to feel lonely," Malachi started, though he had a feeling his own experiences were nothing compared to Charlotte's. "Everyone feels lonely sometimes," He offered. "It doesn't make you an ogre, though. You're parents might be trying really hard and I'm sure they don't mean to make you feel that way," Malachi finished and placed his hand on her arm and gave it a gentle squeeze. He hoped that helped.
Malachi St. Holmes
Malachi St. Holmes
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down