Charm and Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Word Counter
Word Count: 0
Cbox

Everyone chatting it up over here!

Beater Etiquette

2 posters

Go down

Beater Etiquette  Empty Beater Etiquette

Post by Gregory Bell Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:28 am

Gregory had forgotten something down in the dressing rooms after practice, but he had also planned to hang out with Kayla. So instead of rushing to get it and being late, he waited for her and they went together.

Greg was glad that Kayla liked Quidditch. Wolfgang and Cameron listened to his complaints and praises politely, but had nothing to contribute. He could talk to Autumn about it some, but she never had a complaint about anything. It was a one sided conversation with everyone. Except for Kayla, who would openly bash and sing the praises of Quidditch with him.

They sat up in the stands nearly as high up as they could go. He was laying on one of the wooden benches. "Do you have any new players this year?" Gregory asked.
Gregory Bell
Gregory Bell
Adult
Adult

Capricorn Posts : 200

Back to top Go down

Beater Etiquette  Empty Re: Beater Etiquette

Post by Kayla Miller Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:20 am

Greg had been part of her motivation to join the Quidditch team, so Kayla was glad to be able to converse with him about it. So far they mostly agreed or had minor debates. Greg had played Quidditch longer than she had, so he often gave her good tips which were especially appreciated as a captain. Now she didn't have a problem with the game itself, but with a team member.  

"I don't know. The results aren't finalized yet," Kayla admitted. "I hope someone replaces our one Beater. He's way too aggressive and unruly. You have to hit the Bludger, I understand. But he just gets way too angry and spends too much time on the offense. A lot of times I'm more worried he'll break the bat than get hurt." In general Kayla didn't have a very high opinion of Beaters and thought they had the least productive role in the game. "The other Beater is strong, but completely clueless." She shook her head. Kayla herself didn't have the brute strength for Beater, but even if she did she wouldn't have tried out.
Kayla Miller
Kayla Miller
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregory Bell Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:34 pm

"Same. I don't know why it takes so long. Practicing without a position is time consuming and pointless. But Bowen insists."

Gregory fought the urge to sigh. Beater seemed to be the most misunderstood Quidditch position. "Kayla, you have to remember that Beaters hit a twenty-five-centimeter-thick iron ball. It weighs about as much as I do and it takes a lot of determination to hit it," he reminded. "Have you ever seen tiny Autumn hit a bludger? It's a full body motion. If she can't break a bat, no one can," he joked.

Gregory smiled. It was humorous to watch Autumn hit a bludger, but all together impressive that someone as small as her could even move one.
Gregory Bell
Gregory Bell
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayla Miller Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:04 pm

"I know. I'm reminded every time he hits those iron balls at people's heads. He gets legitimately angry. If you didn't know it was a game you'd think he was seriously trying to kill someone." Kayla remembered the almost comical expression of the guy in a rage, hitting the bat like it was nobody's business. "He's just too out of control." At the same time, Kayla had to respect the strength it took to hit a Bludger. If she had to hit Bludgers for hours she'd probably get angry herself. "Yes. It is a hard position," she admitted. But it wasn't as if Seeking was a lot less stressful either. Practically the whole game depended on them. 

Kayla grinned. She'd never seen Autumn hit a Bludger and couldn't imagine her doing so. Autumn always seemed happy and nice and never angry, the opposite of her Beater. "How does she do it," she mused. Autumn was definitely not a typical Beater type.
Kayla Miller
Kayla Miller
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregory Bell Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:15 pm

Greg cringed. "Hitting bludgers at people's heads should not be the goal of the game. The game is dangerous enough without the threat of getting your skull cracked."

That was the one thing Gregory couldn't stand about being a Beater. Not everyone was averse to the idea of hurting someone. He preferred to scare the Chasers in an attempt to slow them down, only hitting bludgers directly at the players if they were being too rowdy. But that rarely happened.

"I don't know. I haven't ever asked her. That seems like it would be an interesting conversation," he said. "I'll see her later today. If I remember, I'll ask."
Gregory Bell
Gregory Bell
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayla Miller Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:21 pm

"Yeah," she agreed. "I don't know why some people are way too competitive, it's just for fun. I've miraculously managed to avoid injuries." Being a Seeker meant she had a lot of Bludgers hit at her and other players trying to block her. Mostly the Beaters caused damage, though. The Montagnard Beaters last year hadn't been particularly peaceful. 

"Congratulations on the Cup win last year, by the way," Kayla grinned. "You guys deserved it. Do you think you'll win again this year?" 

The Nuage team had been practicing and Kayla thought they were getting better, herself included. But she didn't know if it was enough to rival the other teams.
Kayla Miller
Kayla Miller
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregory Bell Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:05 pm

"I've gotten hit a few times. I've broken a couple fingers before," Greg said, shrugging. "It hurts a lot, but you have to play through it. It's not like you can quit. Normally, the other Beater will pick up the slack and protect, but that's not always the case. Breaking your thumb is the worst because it becomes impossible to grip or swing. That's the only time you should switch hands."

Greg didn't want to think about the last time he'd broken his thumb. The potion he'd been forced to drink was terrible.
"Thanks. It wasn't an easy game. That Isobel girl is scary talented. Very cocky, though, which probably cost her the game. "Apparently she comes from a Quidditch family. Her brother was Cerisier's Seeker a couple of years ago and her other brother was a Chaser for Montagnard several years ago."

"I think it's someone else's year to win. Lucie has won the cup three out of her five years. That's a lot for a Quidditch captain. How has your team been doing, minus the positions that have opened up?"
Gregory Bell
Gregory Bell
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayla Miller Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:48 pm

"Ouch," Kayla winced. "You talk about it so casually." Kayla certainly wasn't regretting not becoming a Beater. She made a mental note to wear more protective clothing in the next game. 

Kayla remembered the game. She'd came to watch and rooted for Feu, even though most of her family was in Montagnard. The Miller allegiance was strongly Montagnard. But she went to the pitch that day with a green-and-white banner, snagging front row seats. "Yeah. She's tough. But you guys were tougher." Kayla hated Isobel's arrogance and it was even more satisfying when Beauregard caught the Snitch and wiped the smirk off her face. She wanted to do that, too. "And nobody beats my Quidditch family," she laughed. Her two cousins were in Quidditch and her brother was a commentator, and the family as a whole liked Quidditch. 

"That's impressive," Kayla admitted. She admired Lucie, who was one of the few to win as a first year captain. Even though she hadn't done that, she still looked up to her as a young captain. She shrugged. "I don't know. We're getting better and practicing hard," she said vaguely.
Kayla Miller
Kayla Miller
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregory Bell Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:21 pm

"Well, it happens. Autumn would be your expert on how to deal with Quidditch injuries. She handles them so well that I barely notice."

Greg stood up for a moment to stretch then, then laid back down.

"You're right. There are more Millers than there are students at this school, right?" Greg joked.

"I'm sure you guys will do fantastic. Your game was still great last year. Montagnard doesn't have the greatest Chasers. You guys were in the lead when Captain Ego caught the snitch. Same with Feu, except they ended up winning," Gregory said, trying to jog her memory. Of course she didn't get to watch her own game. But he had been there dressed in Nuage colors, trying to remember every detail to tell Kayla later.
Gregory Bell
Gregory Bell
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down