Word Count: 0
Cbox

Everyone chatting it up over here!

The Witch in a Bar

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Witch in a Bar

Post by Kayla Miller on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:53 pm

Kayla walked into a bar.

Okay, that wasn't completely original. Besides, she wasn't sure whether it was a bar or a pub. And maybe walked wasn't even the right word, considering she'd been walking for over an hour and was now ready to collapse. Unfortunately, the place was full, so she dragged herself over to a table with only one kid and seated herself at the opposite end. She didn't meet his eye and was grateful when the waiter came by to break the silence. "One mixed salad please," she ordered. She didn't check the price, she had a good pile of coins in her pocket and figured she had enough. How much could a salad cost anyway?

Kayla sat silently, drumming her fingers and checking out the kid through the corner of her eye. He looked like the dark, brooding type, who in her books tended to be the sexiest types. Their eyes met and she tried to give a mixed sorry-I-have-nowhere-else-to-sit slash what-a-lovely-day smile. It probably came off plain creepy.

The waiter came back with the salad. "6 sickles and 40 knuts." Kayla fished in her pocket, counting out the coins. "Six sickles....thirty....thirty-one....thirty two knuts...crap." For the first time, she looked at the boy across from her directly. "By any chance, do you have eight knuts I can borrow?" She tried her friendly apologetic smile again.
Kayla Miller
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Witch in a Bar

Post by Gregory Bell on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:36 pm

Greg wasn't sure what he was doing, no different than normal. Maybe he looked like was waiting for someone or something, but he just had a really good bored face.

He barely noticed a girl sitting at the table with him until he started getting paranoid of someone looking at him. He looked up and into the eyes of the girl who just smiled at him awkwardly.

He wanted to ask if she was okay, but he figured that could be rude. She could just be someone with some sort of eye condition. That would be an awkward conversation to have. Especially with a girl the same age as her. What if she started crying or something.

Greg sighed. His overactive imagination.

He heard everything she had said while he was trying to ignore her. Which is why he looked up when she asked him a question.

Change. She needed change. "I can check," Greg answered. He stood up and checked his the pockets of his jeans. He pulled out a couple of coins and a large amount of lint. He dropped the lint on the floor, ignoring the look the waiter gave him. He looked at the coins. "I have two pence pieces and a Krone." He checked his back pocket. "And a sickle!"

He handed the sickle to the girl and smiled awkwardly. "Hi," he greeted, while wondering where he could have picked up Scandinavian money.
Gregory Bell
Adult
Adult

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayla Miller on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:46 pm

"Thanks," Kayla smiled as the boy emptied the various odd contents in his pocket. The waiter gave her a look before accepting the sickle and going off to get change. She faced the boy, feeling better knowing he wasn't a complete grump. "Hi. I'm Kayla. Nice money. Guessing that last one was foreign." She didn't know much about English Muggle money, but she was pretty sure that wasn't it. She was too grateful and relieved for the kid to be worried that she sounded awkward."I'll pay you back, I promise. My family should be here soon. Yours?"

Kayla picked at her salad gingerly. There were way too many tomatoes. "You can have some of my salad," she offered to the boy absentmindedly as she picked up her books and checked them again. Transfiguration...Herbology...Defense Against the Dark Arts.... "Oh, are you going to Beauxbatons?" she asked. She wasn't normally this chatty, but excitement over going to Beauxbatons had changed that.
Kayla Miller
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregory Bell on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:40 pm

"You're welcome. My name is Greg," he responded. "It's a Krone," he said. He slid it across the table so she could look at it. "I think that one is Danish, but I'm not for sure. The other ones are from the UK, where I live."

"You don't have to pay me back. I have everything I need. That's just my change," he assured.

Greg watched as the girl pushed her salad around in it's bowl. "My cousin is wandering around town somewhere. I doubt she'll be here anytime soon. She's a second year, so she already knows what she's doing."

"No thanks. Salad is too fancy for me," he joked, though it didn't sound very funny. He thought about explaining himself, but that'd just make it worse.

"Yes. I'm going to Beauxbatons. First year. Are you?" he asked the girl. She was still acting strange, but maybe it was her character.
Gregory Bell
Adult
Adult

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayla Miller on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:31 pm

"Me too! I live in London," beamed Kayla. "I'm just not as into Muggle stuff as the rest of my family is. I love London, but I like actually seeing the sun here. My French isn't the best though."

"Oh, thanks Greg," she smiled, testing his name out loud. Greg was a lot nicer than she expected. "Ah. I have three very interesting cousins. They're sisters. Sometimes I envy them, I have three brothers. My cousins and my older brother have all been to Beauxbatons already and there's a huge age gap between us. We get along pretty well though." Kayla already felt weird talking on and on to a guy she just met. She was pretty proud of her family.  

She raised an eyebrow, pretending to be offended. "Uh, salad is too fancy for the guy who has Danish crowns or whatever?" she joked, sensing his awkwardness. "Yeah. I get it. Sometimes those dainty little salads seem pretentious."

"Same here. That's what all these books are for-I don't go around reading Potion textbooks for fun," she explained. "Some of this stuff is surprisingly interesting, so class won't be a total bore." She felt happier talking about Beauxbatons, now that she had a fellow first year to talk to besides her brother. Hopefully they were friends.
Kayla Miller
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregory Bell on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:07 pm

"I live in Wilmslow. I'm a little over three hours away from London," Greg said in English. "My father is mostly Dutch, so we speak that at home. But I had to learn French. It wasn't much of a choice for me," he continued.

Greg listened to Kayla talk about her family. He could tell that she really loved them. He thought about speaking English again, but the only way to learn was to practice. "I have an older sister and a little brother, whom I live with, and another brother who doesn't live with me. I have two cousins. Autumn is the one I mentioned, and Marli is her younger sister."

Kayla seemed to be joking back with him. It wasn't funny, but then again, he wasn't either.

"I wasn't looking at your books, to be honest," he said. "You could have been reading a book on physics and I wouldn't have noticed."

"My cousin really likes Transfiguration. She wants to be an animagus, so she studies really hard. She also likes Defense Against the Dark Arts, but I don't know if I'd like it very much. Which do you think will be the most interesting?"
Gregory Bell
Adult
Adult

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayla Miller on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:39 pm

"Dutch? You're multilingual? That's cool. I love languages," Kayla said wistfully. She liked traveling and wanted to travel more when she was older. She wanted to learn as many languages as possible in preparation for backpacking.

"Wow. Do they all go to Beauxbatons?" She could definitely relate to having lots of family members go before her. They had different personalities, but they were all fun and mostly in Montagnard. Well, some might not have described Mabel as fun, but certainly interesting.

She gave a short chuckle. "I'm not that complicated." All she knew about physics was that it was some kind of Muggle science with confusing symbols. On a rainy day, when her father brought home a bunch of Muggle games for him and Cam to play with, she'd taken a look at an advanced physics book. It was actually fun, all the little equations to be solved, but she got befuddled pretty soon.

Kayla shrugged. "I don't know, all the subjects seem interesting. Maybe Transfiguration, although it's supposed to be hard." Kayla hadn't put much thought into the classes, she just assumed they'd all be worth paying attention to.
Kayla Miller
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregory Bell on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:28 am

"Yep. My father and mother are from the Netherlands. English is my second language," Greg explained. "I like them, too. I want to learn a bit of everything. It'd just be useful."

"Nah. My older sister graduated from Hogwarts three years ago, and my little brother is only eight. Autumn is a second year, and Marli is only a year old. Are you going to Beauxbatons alone this year, or do you have family going?"

"I mean, I'm not here to pass judgement," Greg responded. He believed that most of the assumptions he could ever make would be wrong. And it really wasn't any of his business what she was reading. "Magic probably isn't easier than physics, but it's more practical."

"I think all of the classes will be hard. I've never been much of a school person. But even for people who are academic types. Magic isn't all essays and exams," Gregory responded.
Gregory Bell
Adult
Adult

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top