Charm and Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Word Counter
Word Count: 0
Cbox

Everyone chatting it up over here!

Chocolate and Firewhiskey

Go down

Chocolate and Firewhiskey  Empty Chocolate and Firewhiskey

Post by Guest Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:41 pm

"Don't you order anything adults-only!" yelled Milan's mother, glancing suspiciously at the words Firewhiskey (adults only) on the menu. "Stay here and I'll be back in ten minutes, all right?"
Wandering into the pub, Milan realized with a sinking feeling that she didn't have enough to buy a drink. She fished out a single Sickle from her pocket, gloomily watching everyone else eat and drink. Her mouth watered at the sight of chocolate mousse at the next table. The person sitting there stood up and went to the pub counter, leaving Milan with a clear view of their table. They had finished the chocolate mousse, but they had left a box of Chocolate Cauldrons.
Stomach grumbling, Milan was sure she would suffer from chocolate deprivation. In a single movement, she deftly stole a Chocolate Cauldron from the top, tearing open the container and stuffing it into her mouth. Feeling guilty, she left a sickle on the table. She was midchew when she saw the words imprinted on the side of the box: MAY CONTAIN FIREWHISKEY, CAUTION FOR MINORS.
Deciding this was the time to be dramatic, she spit out the Chocolate Cauldron whole and made a retching sound. "ARGH! I ALMOST DRANK FIREWHISKEY!"

Back to top Go down

Chocolate and Firewhiskey  Empty Re: Chocolate and Firewhiskey

Post by Guest Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:41 pm

Marie-Laure finished the last of the crepe she'd been eating and reached for the muggle soda she always favoured over the wizarding drink varieties. She raised the glass to her lips just as she happened to see a much younger girl spit out a chocolate and make some sort of commotion.

She lowered the glass and stood to walk over to the girl's table, glanced at the box of chocolate then at the girl. "You do know don't you that you're not actually poisoned? Instead of shouting like that you should have just spat it out quietly. No need to draw attention to yourself." And in that last sentence Marie-Laure realised she may have made a fatal mistake. She'd given the girl the attention she probably wanted. Well it wasn't like she was in a hurry to go buy her supplies for her final year so she'll put up with it for once. The alternative was to make it early for her appointed meeting spot with her mother. This was better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Milan sighed, unsure how to reply to the much older girl. She was always awkward talking to people much larger, more authorizing than her; what on earth had she gotten herself into? "Yeah, but now my mother's going to kill me for eating firewhiskey," she said in a quieter tone, tentatively wrapping the chocolate in her napkin. "I think I swallowed a bit of it." She decided this attention-to-make-friends thing wasn't working out. Besides, it was gaining a bit of negative attention, and it could even lead to the bartender getting involved. Were there wizarding regulations on firewhiskey? Her mother would definitely kill her if she went to Azkaban. "Sorry, I'm somewhat new to all this Wizarding stuff. Do you know where to find Chocolate Cauldrons? I think I need to replace some." She definitely did not want her mother to find out about how she stole a Chocolate Cauldron.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:43 pm

"She'd kill you for making a mistake?" Marie-Laure asked. "Surely if you tell her how it happened she wouldn't be too upset. Maybe just angry that you took a chocolate before checking first but not for the other." How angry this girl's mother might get was hard to tell since Marie-Laure hadn't any interaction at all with her own when she'd been this girl's age. The only example she had were her aunts and that had mostly been hearsay on behalf of her cousins.

Marie-Laure gave her head a small shake. "I wouldn't worry too much about having swallowed a small bit. That shouldn't hurt." Though what did Marie-Laure know? She only had head knowledge of muggle alcohol and not even that much of the wizarding varieties. She looked at the chocolate cauldron box and wrinkled her brow. "I've never seen them before. Maybe the Sugar Shack in Amethyst Alley keeps them under the counter."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:57 pm

"My mother's pretty uptight when it comes to wizarding rules," Milan admitted, "but I don't need to tell her about the firewhiskey, I don't think she knows Chocolate Cauldrons contain them. She's a witch, but she doesn't have much magical knowledge honestly, she doesn't even remember where to find the school robes, do you? Assuming you attend Beauxbatons, I mean. Which house are you in? Is the homework hard? Is it anything like Muggle homework? In difficulty, I mean, obviously the subjects are different. Speaking of which, what are the best subjects?" She realized quickly that she was getting carried away and frazzled, just like her mother. Milan couldn't blame her now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:57 pm

Marie-Laure felt a pang of jealousy as she read between the lines of what this girl said. Her mother clearly hadn't left her in the muggle world to return to that of wizards for thirteen years. Of course the girl obviously wasn't thirteen yet but the principle was the same. "Oh I attend Beauxbatons all right. Most of the rules though I had to learn through time." Hell. She'd even had to make her way through Amethyst Alley on her own because her mother had chosen disappear from her life until she was thirteen.

That however wouldn't stop Marie-Laure from answering the girl's questions. "I remember where the school robes are to be found. It's not very hard at all once you get out into the Alley. Just make sure you don't make a wrong turn or you'll end up in Whisper Alley. They only sell secondhand robes down there." Marie-Laure wrinkled her nose at the thought of wearing anything previously worn by another. "I'm in Montagnard and yes, the homework is very much like muggle homework. The subject matter of course is different and I don't think it's all that much harder than muggle school. It's just different. The magic. The customs." She smiled at the last question. "That will depend on who you are," she said honestly. "I quite enjoy potions and History of Magic. Defence Against the Dark Arts is good too. You'll also get to have flying lessons in your first two years. I really enjoyed those."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Milan sensed a note of.....something in the girl's first sentences. Bitterness? Resentment? Sadness? She wasn't sure, because it was gone the next second. "So, you don't have any relatives that are magic?" Her own mother was definitely out of date with the wizarding world, but at least she could sympathize with being a witch, to some extent.

Of course, she was grateful for this girl, who could give advice her own mother couldn't. Milan let out a sigh of relief when she was assured the homework wasn't much harder. She was still curious about the classes, especially flying. "Are there Quidditch tryouts? What are the requirements? I'm headed to Bludgers and Broomsticks later and what's the best racing broom?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:39 pm

"I've one," Marie-Laure said shortly. "I just didn't know her until after the age of thirteen." She shrugged. "It's a little complicated." A lot complicated and she hoped for someone's, anyone's her own sake, the girl didn't ask for details.

At least the other questions weren't quite so personal. "Yes there are. Both teams are going to be wanting new players. You need to be able to stay on your broom for starters." She paused as she sized this girl up. If she ended up on Montagnard Marie-Laure hoped she was a much more decent player than one of the current team members. The best racing broom would have to be the Meteor Shower 3000."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Milan wanted to press for more, but even she was pretty sure she was close to crossing a line. It had seemed like a harmless question to her. "Only one? Must be hard." Immediately she worried if even that remark would anger the girl, and would be seen as a sign for more details. She changed the subject quickly, back to Quidditch.

Milan had never tried aerial sports, so staying on a broom could prove problematic for her. Although it didn't happen often, she could sometimes prove to be clumsy. "So are you on the Quidditch team? Which position are you?" Milan had witnessed a Quidditch game only twice in her life, and even though she certainly had a lot of training to do she was certain she wanted to play Quidditch. "What position would you recommend for a fairly agile, coordinated person? I definitely wouldn't be a Seeker, though," she added hastily, recalling the sight of the Seeker getting knocked out of the sky by Bludgers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Marie-Laure shrugged. "No harder than having none. There are plenty who had to learn everything without any relative to ask." And there was a truth Marie-Laure realised. She may not have had her mother to ask in the early years but there was plenty she could question her about now.

"Yes I am," she replied. "I'm one of the chasers and Captain." She took her time to study the girl in front of her before giving her an answer. "Chaser and I'm not just saying that because I am a chaser. You need a lot of agility and co-ordination for chaser. Chasers have to be able to catch the quaffle on the fly and avoid bludgers and opposing chasers." Something one of the chasers on her team was missing. Every single quality required for that matter was missing from that chaser.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down